For this Tuesday I will be listing my top ten things that make me instantly want to read a book. If you want to learn more about top ten Tuesday, head over to The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Things that make me Instantly Want to Read a Book
10. Dystopia- Reading about a twisted and run down world can be very intriguing. Learning as to why that place has become the way it is can be very thought provoking. It’s so fun to be constantly left guessing as to why something happened and through the entire novel/series you cannot fathom how something so extravagant could have occurred.
9. Retellings/Fairy Tales- There is no hiding that retellings are extremely popular in the book community and it is not hard to see why. Fairy tales date back as long as I can remember and I have yet to encounter someone who says they are not a child at heart when reading a traditional tale. It is so nice to see how authors modernize old tales and sometimes intertwine multiple stories.
8. JK Rowling- There is not much to explain with this one. Anything and everything Rowling writes no matter if it’s a novel or a screenplay I must instantly read. She is such a talented author and her ability to make up such complex characters and world never fails to amaze me.
7. Time Traveling- If a review or summary makes any note of time traveling or even altering time I instantly am attracted to a book. I love reading about different time periods and if there just so happens to be a variation of them within a single novel I couldn’t be happier. I also really enjoy the typical plot of messing with time and screwing everything up because it’s not only super fun to read about but it really proves how are lives aren’t for nothing and we all play a role in the overall picture.
6. Dimensions- This one goes along with the time traveling but altering dimensions has always seemed to be such a cool topic to me. I like to read about completely obscure places that are nothing like the world we live in. It’s also fun to see how the traveler reacts because they usually freak out and panic with is very entertaining.
5. Complex Characters- This one is pretty self explanatory and obvious but a novel’s characters will make or break it no matter what the plot is. When a character has multiple sides to them and even they are learning new things about themselves and how they behave throughout the story I am instantly sucked in. No one likes boring, unoriginal character which is why complexity in characters puts a book on my TBR.
4. Weird/Creepy- There’s not really a set genre I have for creepy novels but for some reason I’ve always liked things that were slightly weird whether its gruesome and a bit “messed up” or something that is totally abstract and is almost hard to believe.
3. Love Story- What can I say, I’m a sucker for a good love story, but then again who isn’t. I adore contemporary books that have a cute relationship in them because it’s nice to imagine that’s how guys actually are haha. When I’m in the middle of a big series I like to pick up a short contemporary between books just to give my mind a break and avoid a slump.
2. Magic- I think magic is this high up on the list for me because of Harry Potter and I secretly wish I had some type of magic. Psychic abilities are also squished into this category since I love books that have characters with supernatural abilities. There’s something so exciting about characters who are so unique in what they can do and it is also great because all authors have their own version of magic which makes every fantasy novel feel like it’s something you’ve never read before.
1. Twists- Finally there’s twists. If someone tells me that there is a big twist at the end of a book or movie I can’t help but delve into it right away. When done well, a large twist in a novel can leave you in total shock because you would’ve never guessed that as a possible outcome. The element of surprise can be so powerful and really make or break a book for me.
What are some things that make you instantly want to read a book?
Thanks for reading! -Catherine:)